Rather than repeat ourselves, if you want to learn more about our trail toboggans, their intended uses, advantages, etc please check out the product page here: Premium UHMW Trail Toboggans.
Our trail toboggan kits include all of the following (note: quantity ranges are given, b/c quantities differ depending on the length of toboggan kit selected):
- 8′ – 12′ x 1/4″ x 15″ toboggan blank, cut to a ‘coffin’ shape with holes pre-drilled;
- 6 – 8 partially finished White Ash crossbars (dimensioned, rounded & notched to accept running lines);
- 16 – 24m of 5mm cord for running lines and haul lines;
- 2m of 1″ tubular nylon webbing for brake line;
- 16 – 22 #8 x 3/4″ flat-head stainless screws;
- 10 – 14 #8 stainless bolts and t-nuts;
- 5 #8 x 3/4″ pan-head stainless screws;
- Complete lash system:
- 4 – 8m of 3mm cord for prussiks on lash rings;
- 9 – 15 brass lash rings;
- 1 or 2 polyester straps;
- 1 or 2 stainless steel buckles, sewn to polyester loops;
- LotNs custom leather tump.
- Linseed oil, spar varnish or another finish of your choice;
- Drill with standard bits, Robertson drive bit and countersink bit;
- Straightedge, measuring tape, marker, etc
- Heat gun or hair dryer
All about Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene:
UHMW-PE is an industrial product used in applications (such as bearing surfaces) where a low co-efficient of friction and high abrasion resistance are paramount. Happily, these same properties are essential in a good toboggan! It doesn’t have the really high sheen of standard HDPE, so it doesn’t look as fast, but we’ve been told by an engineer that the slightly more matte surface of UHMW-PE may result in less surface tension when sliding on snow. The biggest advantage we’ve found for the premium UH plastic is it is more durable in extreme cold weather, and thus we are offering a 7-year warranty on UH plastic (3-year on standard HDPE).