This program is focused on developing the skills required to head out into the winter wilderness on your own or with a group. The program starts with a 8km snowshoe (or ski) into our remote base camp property on Golden Pond, where you will settle into one of our fixed or portable accommodations for the first 4 nights, and then put all your new skills to the test on our 3-day Vast Horizons Expedition.
Training Camp will be spent almost entirely outside, with practical lessons including:
- Selecting, felling and processing firewood;
- Use and harvesting of “green” wood for bough floors, pickets and more;
- Using traditional snowshoes with lampwick bindings;
- Packing toboggans;
- Chiseling ice holes;
- Winter cooking & baking;
- Winter navigation;
- Ice safety;
- … And much more!
Participants will have free time to explore the property and enjoy the tranquility of tent living in the winter! This is the perfect combination of skill development and using those newly aquired skills by executing a three-day expedition.
The route into Mt. Ararat will begin right from the Pond and follow lakes and portage trails to beautiful West Quartzite Lake. Here we will set up our base camp for the next day’s summit bid. Day 2 will see us leaving our toboggans and the lakes behind as we set off into the forest up the northwest flank of Mt. Ararat. If we are successful in our summit, we hope to be rewarded with expansive views to the south over Lake Huron’s “Bay of Islands”. Our journey out takes us through a beautiful chain of creeks and wetlands which would be nearly impassable any other time of the year! We also pass through a massive deer yard in which you are almost sure to see many tracks, deer, and potentially even a kill. So don’t forget your camera!
- Snowmobile shuttle of gear into remote property;
- 6 nights of tent living;
- Wine served with supper;
- All meals including snacks for the duration of the program;
- Group gear such as tent, toboggans, safety equipment, kitchen, and communication devises;
- Instruction and guidance from Kielyn and Dave!