Two Halves of a Whole: This course builds upon our “Life on the Trapline” expedition. The two courses are completely different, but perfectly complementary. If you want to take the full experience (2 weeks) from field to table and clothing, then we’ll provide $100 off each course.
This course takes place entirely at our wilderness lodge on “Golden Pond”. You will hike in 8km (gear shuttle provided) to our beautiful remote retreat, and spend the week sleeping in our heated permanent wall tent cabins and working in the “skinning shack”. We will cover all aspects of taking harvested game and utilizing as much of the animal as possible.
- Skinning, scraping and boarding hides for drying;
- Brain tanning fur-on hides;
- Butchering game;
- Identifying and best utilizing different cuts of meats (fry meat, stew meat, ground meat, etc);
- Packaging and Preserving meat (jerky making);
- Preparing organ meat;
- Rendering fat into grease;
- Soap making utilizing grease;
- Cleaning and preserving skulls;
For those unfamiliar with brain tanning, it is a traditional process of hide preparation and preservation that uses a combination of the animal’s own oily brains and your elbow grease to soften a rawhide, plus smoke as a preservative. It makes a naturally soft, beautiful and durable product that requires no harsh chemicals.
Please see our Policies and Conditions.