Update Oct, 2021:
8′ UH and 12′ UH is currently still in stock.
Our 10′ UHMW plastic is sold out incredibly quickly this fall! It took 8 months to have the last batch delivered from our distributor, so we have been forced to discontinue 10′ Premium toboggans. 8′ and 12′ premium toboggans are still available, as are 10′ standard toboggans.
Note: Our premium trail toboggans are made with Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW-PE), our standard trail toboggans are made with High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). All other features of these toboggans are completely identical. UHMW is lower friction and more resilient than HDPE so is recommended for those:
- On difficult expeditions with heavy loads;
- Those planning to use their toboggans a lot during the shoulder seasons (ie. low snow conditions, with roots/ rocks, etc exposed on portages);
- Or those who simply want the very best gear available.
For all others, our standard trail toboggans should serve you very well for many years and hundreds of kilometres.
Trail toboggans are quite simply the most versatile hand-hauled craft for winter travelers. Long and narrow, the toboggans are designed to keep a load low to the ground for maximum stability. The large running surface allows the toboggan to float in your snowshoe track and go anywhere you do – regardless of snow conditions. Because it is flexible, a toboggan gracefully follows the contours of undulating terrain, and crests fallen trees readily. Toboggans are all cut in the traditional ‘coffin-shape’ for improved turning performance.
Our toboggans are made out of black (UV-resistant) UHMW-PE a very durable, extremely low-friction plastic which is ideal for pulling on snow and ice. Toboggans roll up for easy transportation in vehicles! All toboggans come completely outfitted and ready for the trail with:
- White Ash crossbars, finished with multiple coats of spar varnish or linseed oil;
- Fully weather resistant fasteners throughout: stainless steel screws, copper rivets, brass rings;
- Durable 5mm climbing cord for running lines and tow lines;
- Soft, 2″ wide leather ‘tump’ strap for hauling with;
- Brass rings attached via adjustable prussik knots to create lashing points;
- Lashing straps and stainless steel camming buckles;
- Brake line for controlled descents;
All about Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene:
UHMW-PE is an industrial product used in applications (such as bearing surfaces) where a low co-efficient of friction and high abrasion resistance are paramount. Happily, these same properties are essential in a good toboggan! The biggest advantage we’ve found for the premium UH plastic is it is more durable in extreme cold weather, and thus we are offering a 7-year warranty on UH plastic (3-year on standard HDPE).