The Training Camp program is focused on developing the skills required to head out into the winter wilderness on your own or with a group. The program starts with a 6km snowshoe (or ski) into our remote base camp property on Golden Pond, where you will settle into one of our fixed or portable accommodations for the remainder of your stay. Days will be spent almost entirely outside, with lots and lots of practical lessons including:
- Selecting, felling and processing firewood;
- Use and harvesting of “green” wood for bough floors, pickets and more;
- Using traditional snowshoes with lampwick bindings;
- Packing toboggans;
- Chiseling ice holes;
- Winter cooking & baking;
- Winter navigation;
- Ice safety;
- … And much more!
Participants will have free time to explore the property and enjoy the tranquility of tent living in the winter! This is the perfect compliment to our more travel-oriented expeditions, in fact we are offering a companion expedition (“Vast Horizons“) commencing right at the end of this trip! Of course, you don’t have to be attending a Lure trip to join our Training Camp, and may choose to attend to build your own skills and confidence, or simply to explore the idea of winter camping and decide if its something you’d like to take further! Price Includes:
- Snowmobile shuttle of gear into/ out of remote property;
- 3 nights accommodation;
- All meals and snacks for the duration of the course;
- Wine served with supper;
- Guidance from Kie and Dave!