This all-inclusive workshop teaches you everything you need to know to start turning trees into lumber. Held at the Lure basecamp “Golden Pond”, the tuition includes boat shuttle to and from our property, 6 meals, and tent accommodations.
- Equipment selection;
- Milling square-cut lumber;
- Milling live-edge lumber;
- Bevel milling for horizontal siding;
- Utilizing “slab” lumber and off cuts;
- Proper storage and seasoning of green lumber;
- Processing rough cut to dressed lumber;
- Techniques for using green lumber right away;
Get outside! This is a hands-on workshop, that adheres to the “learn by doing” philosophy. We will be outside almost exclusively and will be milling lumber the majority of the time. You should leave feeling quite comfortable and capable that you could return home with the capacity to mill your own lumber.
- Finished lumber. This workshop is designed to build your skills, not your woodshed!
- Felling trees. Felling trees is likely the most dangerous part of chainsaw milling. There are many excellent courses available to teach proper felling technique, which is outside the focus of this course. Milling naturally fallen trees, or hiring a professional faller are options for those not comfortable falling trees.
Friday, early evening (Optional): Arrive at LotN boat launch. Boat pickup and transport to property. Supper provided. Settle into accommodations;
Saturday: Chainsaw Milling all day! 3 meals and accommodations provided;
Sunday: Storing, processing and using milled lumber and slabs. Examples throughout property. Final questions on milling process. Breakfast and lunch provided. Depart in boat early afternoon to allow time to return home Sunday evening.