Get ready for the warmest, lightest, coziest pair of winter footwear you have ever worn. Handcrafted by you – there is simply no more satisfying way to travel in the winter than with a pair of moccasins you have made yourself! Like all of our products, we have personally tested our moccasins on northern expeditions up to 40 days, and 250 km in length.
Our winter moccasin making kits include all materials and instructions required to make your own pair of custom, deerskin winter moccasins. You supply standard insulating layers and a few basic household tools. These are the same instructions we provide at our moccasin making workshops, which we have used to help hundreds of people make moccasins in the past 6 years.
Kits come in two styles: Split-skin hide wrap-around uppers, or canvas, tube-style uppers. Differences are mostly cosmetic, with both styles performing equally well in temperatures ranging from ~ -4° C to as cold as your insulating layers allow. If you want to read more about the two different styles, or view more photos, check out their product pages below:
Included in these kits:
- Enough deerskin for the moccasin lowers, plus extra scraps to make thimbles, and use as a repair kit;
- Canvas or Hide uppers;
- Decorative ribbon [canvas upper only];
- Light cotton tape for binding bottom of uppers;
- Light cotton webbing for wrap-around ties (ends sealed with beeswax);
- Light cotton webbing for upper ties [canvas upper only];
- Deer antler buttons [hide uppers only];
- Artificial sinew;
- 2 x “Glovers” or “triangular” needles;
- Paper patterns;
- Full-colour, bound instructional booklet;
Optional Standard Insulation Package Includes:
- Fantastic Thermohair socks;
- Felted wool insoles;
- Felted wool boot liners;
- A 10% savings over buying these items individually!
*NEW* Premium Insulation Package Available:
- Standard Insulation Package;
- Thompsons Knitted Arctic Over Socks!
NOTE: When choosing your size for your boot liner please follow the following guidelines:
MEN: Go up one or one and a half sizes for added wiggle room and insulation. For example if you are a size 10.5 shoe you will choose size 12 for your liner;
WOMEN: Choose your regular shoe size for sizing. For example if you are a size 8 women`s then choose size 8 men`s. This will allow enough room for added insulation and wiggle room. If you are a half size, women will round down. For example a size 9.5W will choose a size 9M.
Add a Sole!
Adding our painted rubber sole to your moccasins will prolong the life of moccasins exponentially with yearly maintenance. See the “Video and Print instructions” tab for a full video of the soling process.