- This intro to winter camping program is focused on developing the skills required to head out into the winter wilderness on your own or with a group. The program starts with a 8km snowshoe (or ski) into our remote base camp property on Golden Pond, where you will settle into one of our fixed or portable accommodations for the first 4 nights, and then put all your new skills to the test on our 4-day Vast Horizons Expedition.
Training Camp will be spent almost entirely outside, with practical lessons including:
- Selecting, felling and processing firewood;
- Use and harvesting of “green” wood for bough floors, pickets and more;
- Using traditional snowshoes with lampwick bindings;
- Packing toboggans;
- Chiseling ice holes;
- Winter cooking & baking;
- Winter navigation;
- Ice safety;
- … And much more!
The route into Mt. Ararat will begin right from the Pond and follow lakes and portage trails to into the beautiful high lakes of the Lacloche Mountains. Two day’s of travel, making and breaking camp, will bring us to the base of Mt. Ararat. Day 3 will see us leaving our toboggans and the lakes behind as we set off into the forest up the flank of Mt. Ararat. If we are successful in our summit, we hope to be rewarded with expansive views to the south over Lake Huron’s “Bay of Islands”. Our journey out takes us through a beautiful chain of creeks and wetlands which would be nearly impassable any other time of the year! We also pass through a massive deer yard in which you are almost sure to see many tracks, deer, and potentially even a kill. So don’t forget your camera!
- Snowmobile shuttle of gear into remote property;
- 7 nights of tent living;
- Wine served with supper;
- All meals including snacks for the duration of the program;
- Group gear such as tent, toboggans, safety equipment, kitchen, and communication devises;
- Instruction and guidance from the Lure team!