This all-inclusive chainsaw milling and tiny cabin workshop teaches you everything you need to know to start selectively harvesting trees on your land; turning logs into beautiful lumber; and turning that beautiful lumber into a tiny structure! Held at the Lure basecamp “Golden Pond”, the tuition includes boat shuttle to and from our property, meals, and camping or fixed accommodations on our property.
2 chainsaw milling systems will be covered!
We will be milling using the incredibly portable and inexpensive “Alaskan Chainsaw Milling” or “Granberg” system, as well as the Logosol F2 mill for increased productivity.
- Equipment selection and safety considerations;
- Selective harvesting considerations;
- Basic tree felling technique;
- Low-impact skidding/ log retrieval and transport;
- Milling square-cut lumber;
- Milling live-edge lumber;
- Bevel milling for horizontal siding;
- Utilizing “slab” lumber and off cuts;
- Proper storage and seasoning of green lumber;
- Processing rough cut to dressed lumber;
- Techniques for using green lumber right away;
- Construction of a small garden shed or tiny cabin*.
This is a hands-on workshop, that adheres to the “learn by doing” philosophy. We will be outside almost exclusively and will be milling lumber the majority of the time. You should leave feeling quite comfortable and capable that you could return home with the capacity to mill your own lumber.
*2021 Tiny Cabin Project:
We will be building a 5′ x 10′ bee house to protect Kie’s bee colony from the ravages of winter and keep all of her tools in one place. This size is really too small to be considered a usable human cabin. However, all of the same principles apply and it would be very simple to scale this up to a larger cabin to build for yourself! We will start with laying and leveling the foundation beams, building and siding the structure and right through to roofing. All with lumber milled on the course!
- Includes boat shuttle to and from our wilderness property;
- Seven nights camping or accommodation on site;
- All meals (BYOB).
- Finished lumber. This workshop is designed to build your skills, not your woodshed!
There are no reviews yet.